(updated May 17, 2016)
Table of Contents
- AUTO REPAIR / WINDSHIELDS
- BUILDERS / CONTRATORS / ARCHITECTS
- CARPET CLEANING
- CHILD CARE
- COMPUTER REPAIR
- DOG WALKERS/PET SITTERS
- DRY CLEANERS AND ALTERATIONS
- DRY WALL REPAIRS
- FENCES/BRICK WORK
- FLOORS REFINISHED
- FURNITURE REFINISHING
- GUTTER CLEANING
- HOUSE PAINTERS
- MOVING COMPANIES
- ORGANIC FOODS
- PEST CONTROL
- RECYLING COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS
- SHOE REPAIR
- TREE SERVICE
- TUB REGLAZERS
- TV REPAIR
- WINDOW WASHERS
The information below is an eclectic mix of references and information compiled from the Arlington Heights Civic Association listserve. It is made up of comments, suggestions and recommendations from neighbors. The information isn't proofed or checked for accuracy just repeated for everyone's convenience.
Inclusion on this list does not imply an endorsement of any kind by the Arlington Heights Civic Association (AHCA). The opinions expressed here represent those of the individual AHCA resident who posted them.
Compiled May 2016
- I repaired the windshield on my A4 last year at Town Car Auto Repair (703-920-7887) at 301 South Glebe Road
- I highly recommend Barcroft Auto Repair, 67 North Glebe Road (703-522-0555). Their mechanic, Carlos, knows how to fix everything!
- We HIGHLY recommend Jim and Danny's automotive. One does American cars and the other international, although I always get them confused. Here are their numbers.. They work together, and in the same garage, but have diff #s. I'd start with Jim.. They are both at 4961 10th St. (off Columbia pike just after 4 mile Run) - Jim's Auto -- 703 931 9431 and Danny's - 703 671 2427
- We use Brett Holleman. He works out of his garage on N. 20th Rd., across from St. Agnes in Cherrydale. We have used him for years, as have my in- laws. He's always honest and friendly. His # is 703-243-2144
- We've been using Pete Thompson for about 8 years now. He comes to us and only works on Hondas. I couldn't recommend anyone more highly. He's honest and hard working and more knowledgeable than some of the dealership mechanics. (He's also dealer trained). We met him and started using him when he would come to my wife's office and service a bunch of employees' cars at once. Very convenient and reasonable, but more than that—trustworthy. Peter Thompson: 301-315-0332.
Compiled April 2002, and October 2003
- We have interviewed several Builders, Architects & Contractors about taking the roof off our house, adding a second floor & two full baths. The only information we'been able to glean is that the approx. cost per foot is $125.00 to $200.00. We had a meeting w/Cook Brothers last night. They seem to be professional & gave us a quote of $136.00 per foot - total costs between $250,000.00 to 300,000.00. We have not negotiated the pricing yet but does this sound reasonable?
- We had Cook Bros paint our new kitchen two years ago. They did a great job. Prices were on the high side of average. We used Cornerstone Design in Merrifield to do the actual remodeling (it was a pretty major job). I was impressed with their reliability in terms of starting and finishing the job almost exactly when they said they would.
- We're about to get a quote on a new addition, as well. Some of the suggestions we got from neighbors (on this list serve) were: Andy Cashman of Andy's Home Improvements (check phone book), Northern VA specialists (NVS):703-378-2600. Hope this helps.
- One thing you could do if you are sure you want to proceed is to first select an architect, and work with them to draw up a set of exact plans. Then, you can shop the plans around to different contractors and ask them to submit firm-fixed-price bids on completing the work. You'll have to spend money up front on the architect, but you'll have some choice and flexibility on the contractor side. I'd ask an architect to see if this is a rational choice in today's marketplace for home improvements, though. I've heard that contractors are so busy still that many are refusing a good portion of the jobs available—the demand for those services is very high.
- Gray Contractors, 703-528-1914 - They specialize in basements and kitchens but I recently inspected their work on an old house in Alexandria in which they gutted the entire house on the inside and completely renovated the place. Their work is stunning!
- Here are 2 other contractors that my neighbors have worked with recently or are working with at present. I don't have any personal experience with either.: DW Dively Constructions Services (Doug), 703-335-1811 (Manassas) or 703-299-8929 (Alexandria) and Robin Cox - Leprechaun Associates (He lives in Douglas Park)703-863-3635
- Richard Thir of Accent Renovations is doing our addition. He has a great crew, and best of all great rates and does a good job. We got several estimates from various contractors and he was the lowest. We saw his work and spoke to a some of the people he's worked for before and the work looks great and everyone was happy with the results. Accent Renovations, Richard Thir - 703-339-5447 or571-237-7388 (Cell)
- I know of an experienced licensed contractor that has extensive experience. He's done the gamut of contractor type work. His telephone # is 703.593.4536 and his e-mail address is email@example.com I came to know of him through looking at the work that he did at his own place. He does free estimates. Let me know if this helps.
- Do a search for Mark Meredith. Very reputable and on time. They did a great job at my place. Mark Meredith at www.markmeredith.com
- Below is a list of general contractors provided by a local realtor - Casey O'Neal, Associate Broker, RE/MAX Horizons. I don't have any personal experience with any of them, but the realtor is a long-standing homeowner in the Arlington Heights area and is well-respected. (October 2003)
- General Contractors, Arlington Restorations -703-538-6337
- Capitol Improvements -703-534-1600
- Case Design & Remodeling, Inc. -703-241-2980
- Commonwealth Restorations -703-525-5255
- Greenwald & Cassell Associates, Inc. -703-734-6194
- Henderson Design Build -703-525-5300
- Merrill Contracting & Remodeling -703-525-3214
- The following were all recommended by someone in an email dated March 2003
- Cook Bros.
- Case Design
- Cornerstone Design in Merrifield
- Andy Cashman of Andy's Home Improvements
- Northern VA specialists (NVS):703-378-2600.
- NVS Kitchen and Bath
- Bowman's Housecraft (Paul Bowman)
- C&D Improvements. The main contact person is Donnie. His number is 703 938 8303
- Mark Meredith - www.marmeredith.com
- Rick Martin (Architect & Contractor) Home/Work Phone: 703 528- 0486; 437 North Nelson Street, Arlington, VA
- Whole House Handyman Services - Barrett Decker and his partner Rob can take on large project as well as the more typical handyman” jobs; Work: 703 551-3333; 9206 Venture Court, Suite C- 5, Manassas Park, VA 20111
- Ha Luu (Contractor who does carpentry, additions, kitchens, plumbing, decks) Home: 703 239-9379
- RBV Design (design & builders)
- Architects ▪
- Anne Elliott (Elly) Merica, AIA; 2 SCALE architects, 3908 9th Street, South, Arlington, VA 22204-1532 ▪
- Lala-Rukh Waqar Matties,RA, 3618 First Road South, Arlington, VA 22204 ▪
- Susan Retz ▪
- Hadley & Associates (Garnet Hadley - interior design & Harden Hadley, architect; Garnet can be reached at 703-522- 0982. Harlan can be reached at 703-908-0118 ▪
- Stuart White, on a referral from the AIA; Number is 703- 836-4998
- Advice: National Assn. of the Remodeling Industry, which represents about 280 licensed remodeling contractors and associated companies in the DC area, has an online directory of contractor members, if you'd like a list of companies that specialize in various areas of remodeling. You can find it at www.narimetrodc.org. You can search by alphabetical listing, or by professional specialty. Many of the companies are design/build, some are just architects, and some do only construction. here are some very good recommendations. And, there are too many contractors who are very bad and should be avoided. Watch our for anyone who deflect or defers questions about county permits, even if it is written in the contract that they are required to obtain them contract.
- FMD Restoration, Inc. 703-241-2920
Compiled February 2004
- For carpet cleaning ACS carpet care
Compiled from March 2003
- Here is a company to add to our list for a carpenter: Swindoll Carpentry Inc.
- Jim and I have used the same handyman for a number of years: Steve Vincent, Vincent Contracting Company, 703-989-0721. His workmanship is superb, and I have recommended him to others numerous times. He does a wide variety of home repairs and remodeling. Recently, he completed an entire renovation of our kitchen (including flooring). As usual, we are very pleased with the outcome.
- Part time childcare given in your home evenings, weekdays, weekends and even overnight if required. I am a fun responsible adult with fifteen years' experience. I have excellent references. Please call Miriam @ (703) 528-5738
- I have had wonderful success with Micro Computer Services and they came highly recommended. They are in Herndon, but worth it. Call 703-709- 7746. I have used Chris or Neil, but any of them are great. I have sent several friends and all continue to use their services.
- Logic Computer Solutions. 2340 Columbia Pike next to Saah's Furniture. 703-920-2552. We used them once - quick, done on time, cheap, no hard sell or add-ons.” I'd go back.
Compiled June 2003 and March 2004
- AHCA keeps a list of young people in the neighborhood that are interested in light work such as dog sitting/walking.
- We are very happy with Happy Hounds... we use them whenever we have a 1-3 day trip and need someone to feed and walk our dog a couple of times a day. They do a great job and leave detailed notes after each visit describing what they did and how the dog did. Their number is 703-553- 0555. Kim Range is the primary owner and she is located in S. Arlington I believe.
- I'll second that recommendation. Happy Hounds has been very good to us, helping to take care of our cats while we are away. They have had exceptional customer service every time we've used them.
- Try this lady. She is pretty good. She also does house cleaning. Lives in the neighbor hood and rates are reasonable for pet sitting - Helen Bard- Sobola, Sobolas@att.net, 202-251-7035 (cell)
- Ross Kinsman, who lives in the neighborhood helped me when I went into the hospital. He did an excellent job and took good care of my golden retriever. His number is 703-892-1472.
- I have used a wonderful cat sitter. Her name is Marlene Gomez. Daytime number is 202/712-4573. Evening number is 703/628-1448. Others in my development (Dominion Square) have also used her. I can highly recommend her.
Compiled from April 2002
- Sue at Dominion Arms also does very good alterations. She re-sized my entire professional wardrobe.
- I appreciate the good folks who run the cleaners at the Dominion Arms. In 10 years, I have never had a problem with the cleaners there.
Compiled February 2004
- Carlos F. Fuentes, Carlos F. Painting Inc, home: 703-425-2157, cell: 571- 233-7667. They did a very good job, very quickly, very professional. They will give you a break on the repair if you do your own sanding and painting after it drys.
Compiled June 2002 and May 2005
- The electrician's name is Jerry Nugent -- 703-569-0345. Good luck.
- Cliff Marten (703) 866-1209. Cliff is the best & most reliable electrician in Arlington! He has done the majority of electrical work on our 1930's house. He was also able to restore a antique/craftsman chandelier for our neighbor (this neighbor was told by several other electricians that it would never work again). Cliff is very honest & sticks to code - he will tell you upfront what it costs or if you should do something else.
- Bob Sobun (703) 503-3294
- Becker Electric Co., Inc. 820 Gibbon St.,Alexandria, VA 22314, Attn: William Becker -(703) 683-5355
- Make sure if you are doing something like electrical panel replacement, that your contractor can pull a permit. If you ever have a fire and there was no permit and county inspection, your insurance will not cover damage. Ask if your installer is a Master Electrician—it's a good indication that they know what they're doing.
- Try Dick Fuller of "Helping Hands Electric Service" 703-591-3949 (office) 703-346-6130 (cell). He's a master electrician, not the cheapest, but is honest and thorough. My experience with him was he did the work himself - no helpers or subcontractors. With Mr. Fuller you are paying for his experience and service. When you call, please say hi to him for me. Good luck.
- Manny Sanchez! The guy is phenominal. He is a master electrician/certified elementary teacher/certified high school instructor/etc. He currently teaches copper based wiring and fiber optic cabeling to high school students at the Career Center. Manny has his own business that he does after shcool and in the summer. He is wonderful and has worked on many older houses in Falls Church, Arlington as well as churches in the area. Manny's number at the Career Center is 228-5764. Tell him I gave you his number. Mark
- I've got Shafel from Modern Day Electric” (ph 703/ 932-1607) doing work for me now. He's a young kid, but very knowledgable, persnickety about code, and his estimate was significantly lower than others when I initially hired him last fall. Now I trust him for all my wiring needs. He discusses all the options thoroughly and I never have surprises with him.
- I can strongly recommend Tower Davis at http://www.towerdavis.com/, Tower- Davis Electric, 5265 Port Royal Rd., Suite 100, Springfield, VA 22151
- I recommend Doug Hartnett. He installed lights for us (during remodeling) and was very reasonably priced. His number is (703)556-4276.
- Here are some good electrical contractors to call. Good luck! Casey O'Neal, Associate Broker, RE/MAX Allegiance
- McDermott Electrical (703) 719-6246
- Becker Electric (703) 683-5888
- Miguel Estrella (571) 437-7594
- Scan Electric, Inc. (703) 824-8379
- Walsh Electric (703) 451-6622
- MultiNet (703) 892-1141 firstname.lastname@example.org
Compiled April 2005
- I had a fence installed in December by Rob of Adirondack Builders. (He advertises in free weekly paper you get on Thursday. His ad is a drawing of a wooden gate.) He was great and much, much cheaper than other companies with whom I spoke. He was even willing to work with me on some details. I recommend him highly.
- Brian Pastoric, HOMEWNERS BRICKLAYERS, (703) 256-5297. He was reasonable, honest and very easy to work with. I would definitely use him again in the future.
Compiled June 2004
- I used Dominion Floors to refinish my stairs from a dark color to a much lighter color to match a new wood floor I installed. Not a very easy task, they came out much closer in color than I expected. I also considered the cost to be a relative value among other estimates I received.
- I recommend Luise. He has done many floors in Arlington, including my own. He offers high quality services at a reasonable price. He can be reached at email@example.com
- I highly recommend Nacho Floor for any hardwood floor work. I'm not sure if they remove carpet, but I do know that they refinished my floors and restored them to a nice natural finish. They are very well priced and reliable. Nacho Floor Service: (703) 971-2536, located in Alexandria.
- For the hardwood floor refinishing, I can highly recommend CIA Services (Charlie Ayoub 703-442-4000 cia4services.com). They refinished 2 levels of hardwood floors for me and did an excellent job for a reasonable price. Very honest and dependable as well.
Compiled July 2003 and August 2005
- Fairlington Strippers are the best there is. They are not cheap, but if you have a piece that you really value, I think it's worth it. I had my 1700's bedroom furniture refinished by them several years ago and they caned and refinished 2 chairs for me in the past 6 months. I am very happy with all of the results.
- Casey O'Neal, Associate Broker, RE/MAX Allegiance, sent the following suggestions: Hatcher's Floors (703) 451-0459, Dominion Floors (703) 536-4116, Jimmy Brothers Floor Service (703) 536-6600, Brothers & Justice (703) 883-0644, Floors By Phil (703) 237-7737, M&M Floors (703) 532-0225, Nachos Floors (703) 971-2536
Compiled from September 2002, again in April 2003
- An itinerant gardener stopped by our house today and did a superb job in our garden. His name is Clem Green, and his contact number is 703-933- 1485 (not his home number)
- We use Merlos Lawn Care every year. Do a great job cleaning up from winter. Francisco Merlos lives in the neighborhood. Call Francisco at (703) 271-8084.
- One of our AHCA neighbors has a service which is very good - J & M of Northern Virginia at (703) 553-9825.
- Need great landscaping, call Patio Patch:703-533-9579 in Falls Church.
Compiled March 2002
- In November we used a neighbor who left a flyer on our door. He was very responsive and good. We will use him again. His name is Jorge Alberto Perez, 703-979-5545
- We've been happy with Metro Gutters. http://www.metrogutter.com/
- Thanks for all of the responses. I went with MetroGutter. They are fully insured and did a very good job (I was home when they did the work).
- Pond Roofing cleaned my gutters again this year. They did my roof in 1986. Needless to say, I have been very pleased with their work and recommend them highly. Tel: 703-573-8000
Compiled from March 2002 and June 2002 and August 2005
- Phil Barbieri and his company is called Homeworks. He is really great. His work in top rate - he does light carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and everything in between. He redid our screen porch and put a ceiling in our basement. He is very reliable, friendly and hard working. I recommend him wholeheartedly. If you are looking for handyman services, his number is: Cell: 571.215.5406 and home: 703.642.9250.
- Neighbors, I would like to take a moment to recommend someone who has done odd jobs for me. His name is James and has his own company, Afam (worker”) services. For his day job, he is a maintenance supervisor for the building I work in. James is very reliable and does a good job. He is especially good at installing lights, ceiling fans, etc., electricity, heating and cooling systems. His prices are also fair. His numbers are: 703 361 7624 (office) and 571 321 5430 (cell).
- Let me offer up David Graham AKA Silver Hammer at Dave does plumbing and carpentry and electrical. He and his wife are long time Coop shoppers and his work is quite good
- For home handyman work, call Al Foreman 703-892-6647
- Don Franklin (703) 719-8326. He lives in Arlington across George Mason Drive; is a one-man-band” type of repair man. Fixed my 60+ year-old stove range. Seems knowledgeable, very honest and fair price-wise.
- Tom Berg - Handyman, does odd jobs, lives in the area – (703) 521-5869.
- If you are still looking for some help (Handyman and windows) call Doug at Residential Repairs (703)556-4276. He will install new windows and repair windows at much more reasonable prices than the big shops. He's does beautiful work. We used him for some minor bath remodeling too.
- Casey O'Neal, Associate Broker, RE/MAX Allegiance, sent the following suggestions:
- Bob Koleas (703) 507-1011
- All American Home Services (703) 492-5815 office
- Chad Williams (703) 296-7281 cell
- Jeeves Handyman Services (800)780-0267Specializes in home inspection repairs. Gutter cleaning,drywall/ceiling repair,siding repair,roof, gutter deck work, painting and caulking, tile work, plumbing, rotted wood replacement,door and window repair & more (they do it all)
- Juan Carlos Nina (certified electrician & plumber) (703)861- 5046
- Juan Pablo Guerty (703)403-9071
- Henry Garcia (703)577-7878
- Jim Olstrom www.choicehomeservicesinc.com
- Don Shifflett (703)741-9444
- Michael Schbot (703)354-3354
- Kris Dominion Contractors (703)408-4711
- Steve Yanovich (703)569-0271
- Mark Meredith (703) 715-6122 www.markmeredith.com
- Case Handyman Services (800) 513-2250
- Craig Wallace (703) 931-1045
Compiled September 2004
- We had Arlington Heating and Air come in to do a basic pre-heating-season checkup a few years ago. The technician, who was terrific, found a potentially dangerous problem - rust had eaten holes in the vent duct, so we probably would have had carbon monoxide backdrafting into the house. He was able to find the holes, which were sort of hidden on the back side of the duct, only because he did a very thorough inspection. He fixed the problem quickly and actually improved the duct placement in the process. I don't remember what we spent but I recall their prices seemed quite reasonable to be. Great service!
- We had both our AC and furnace replaced by Arlington Heating and Air in April. We were very pleased with the speed and quality of their work. They originally said it would take 2 days, but they sent 2 teams of workers and finished in one day. I didn't check around for prices so I don't know how they compare.
- Arlington Heating and Air did a total overhaul of our heating system and installed central air - which my poor old house did not have. In addition, they heavy upped my electrical. They did this and came $500 under their estimates. Cost wise they're very compettive, but are not the lowest. However, having people who have been in the area forever says a lot about the quality of service.
- I've used Richards Heating and Air Conditioning for years and been very satisfied. 703-241-1900
Compiled October 2002, June 2003, April 2004
- My father-in-law is a professional painter. He has pained several houses in this neighborhood, especially the older townhouses. His number is: Jackson & Sons, Paul Jackson, 703-536-4856
- I am glad you asked this question, as it gives me the privilege of recommending Arlington Heights resident Cesar Mendoza and his business Deluxe Painting. He has done a wonderful job painting my husband's office and I was able to look through his portfolio and discover that he is very talented, specializing in faux-finishes and other texturized painting. His phone number is 703.395.8632. He is very easy to work with and his crew is clean and courteous. I highly recommend Cesar Mendoza for any painting job you need.
- Mario (703) 553-0042
- These folks are very good. They not only paint but they also do renovations. Fast and very clean http://www.markmeredith.com/
- I have used De La Fe Painting Co for both outside and inside painting. Very satisfied. The company was referred to me by a friend who has been using them for years - 703-941-3097
Compiled June 2003
- Use Hailer Transfer. He was the best I ever used, after 7 local moves. His number is 703-913-7800
- I have used Apartment Movers several times in the last 10 years, 2x for office moves, and 3x for house moves. They are reliable and dependable. I highly recommend them for any type of move. I have also recommended them to others who were also very pleased. As for negative reviews, I found 2 Guys & a Truck to be very unresponsive.
- We have used JK movers twice and were very pleased. They were speedy and not a single scratch.
- I'd highly recommend Bradley Sampson: H: 703-780-6501 Pager: 703-213- 6677. He and his co-worker got a heavy, very awkward piece moved two flights up in my house. I was right that I needed a moving pro to manage this task; the piece had to be taken outside and brought back in through a different door. It was tricky, and I saw that these guys knew the proper techniques to move the furniture safely. No, he's not cheap, but neither is the furniture damaged and my newly-painted walls aren't scratched and marked. He was worth it.
Compiled March 2004
- Here's another option: Washington's Green Grocers. http://www.washingtonsgreengrocer.com/index.html You can sign up to get a weekly email list from them that lists what they have (organic and non). If you like what they have, they deliver a box of the goodies to your door. It's pretty low commitment. You can decide on a week by week basis whether you want a delivery or not. They also have a newsletter that has pretty good recipes geared to what's in that week's box.
- Waterpenny Farm, in Sperryville, Virginia, practices Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). http://ecofusion.com/waterpenny/ The farm uses all kinds of sustainable methods to produce a wide range of vegetables from June to October. As a CSA, folks buy a share in the farm harvest in the spring, and each week from June to October, they receive a medium or large box of veggies, which is delivered to a local business. The hitch is—the business is the Marasco-Newton Group, in Clarendon. I have signed up for this season, so if anyone else wants to sign up, let me know, and we can share pick-up duties. They deliver on Wednesdays, and the pick-up time is between noon and about 8pm.
- Don't forget My Organic Market on 3831 Mt Vernon Ave near the old Birchmere, an easier trip all around...
Compiled May 2003
- We've used Jolly Roger twice now and have been very happy with the results. We had ants in the kitchen the spring of last year and this year, but after they sprayed haven't seen one. It was about $150 with a 4 or 6 month guarantee. http://www.jollyrogerpestcontrol.com/
- Have you tried those handy dandy ant traps available in Giant or Safeway? I am occasionally "invaded" by ants and just put those ant traps (no smell, can be handled without gloves) at the source (or near my best guess like on a counter if they are coming behind the counter or in front of a radiator if they are coming out from behind the radiator) and boom, they go away. Buy a box or two and put them all over the place. If you haven't tried the $5 solution before the $50 solution, give it a try.
- Connors - they are great! 703-321-0400
- We have been using Conners Pest Control for the past 9 years. Their phone number is 703-321-0400
- Callaghans in Alexandria. 703-799-4600. Top rated in Checkbook Magazine and top drawer in my experience.
- We have had a contract with ProTech Pest Control for the last several years. They come quarterly and it has cost us $70 each visit. One time they did their quarterly "stuff" and a few weeks later there were ants. They came out again (the next day?) and did a non-toxic gel treatment that knocked those ants out almost immediately. They charged us nothing for that visit. At the quarterly visits they usually do outside only treatments, but in the Spring we do invite them in as every critter is alive and well and finding peace in our house, too! Their phone number is 703-440-8000. They also have a website, if you want to check it out http://www.protechpest.com/.
- We have used Ward Pest Control for years. They got rid of our Camelback Cricket infestation. Jim Ward 703-532-3506.
- Can not recommend EnviroPest. Did a terrible job and refused to give a refund.
Compiled from October 2002 and February 2004
- As for a plumber, we use: Jerry Kubela 703-739-8810. He has redone both our bathrooms and has done work for some neighbors as well. We got several estimates, and were very happy with him. He also just finished putting in a kitchen for my mother-in-law in her basement.
- We've used - The Plumbing Dr., Inc. William K. Bennett ("Dr. Bill"), President, 1061-B W. Broad St.,Falls Church, VA 22046, 703.525.9280, specialize in complete plumbing Repairs, drain & sewer cleaning.
- We have used CroppMetcalfe/Dwyer for Heating and Air Conditioning work and have been extremely happy with the work. CroppMetcalfe/Dwyer, (703) 751-9500 residential plumbing, AC, heating. And we have also been happy with Caffi Plumbing if you want to get another estimate.
- I have used CroppMetcalfe/Dwyer and yes they do good work. A little pricey but good.
- Try Able Plumbing for price.
- There was a man in the neighborhood that said he does plumbing jobs on the weekends. His name is Roberto Rosas. His phone number is number is 703-979-4578. – here is his message: I am a resident of Arlington Heights, a licensed Virginia plumber (Access Plumbing) and am available weekends and evenings for discount plumbing repairs; e.g., toilets, frozen pipes, hot water heater replacement, sink stoppages, garbage disposals, etc. I also offer a Senior Citizen discount. Please call me 703-979-4578. Roberto Rosas”
- Roberto Rosas and he can be reached at 703-979-4578. We highly recommend him as he goes above and beyond what you would expect from a plumber. One time we had a leak under the sink and he found that the disposal attachment to the sink just needed to be tightened a little. He didn't charge us anything!! A couple of weeks ago the pipe that connects our sump pump to its discharge pipe came off and we had water coming into the basement. We facing a night of bailing water until we could get a plumber there. I called Roberto about 9pm and he came over fixed it!!
- I join my neighbors in highly recommending Mr Rosas who does excellent work at a most reasonable price and in addition is a delightful, polite gentleman. Mr Rosas did several repairs for me last year and I have had no subsequent problems, the repairs were well done and all under the estimate we had agreed to.
Compiled from February 2005
- I recommend Utility Service Express. Ask for Leroy, who is a great guy, and did flawless work when I re-installed my entire radiator system. Utility Service Express (703) 438-3800, 11014 Sunset Hills Rd. Reston, VA 20190
- Do you know how to "bleed" radiators? This should be done annually by the homeowner, it just takes a radiator "key" and a jar to catch water. Usually the upstairs radiators need it the most. Save you a hefty plumber fee. Read about it here: http://doityourself.com/hvac/radiatorbleed.htm (One of a zillion Intranet sites on the subject.)
- Before you call anyone to service your system, you should "bleed" it. Get a "key" at your local hardware store. Start at the highest elevation. Hold a glass of water under the small valve at the top of the radiator, above the main water line. Open the valve with the key. Let air escape. When all the air is out and water starts to run, close the valve. Go to the next radiator and repeat at all radiators, starting with the highest elevation and working down. That may solve your problem and it will cost you about $1.00 for the "key." If that doesn't solve your problem, you will need a good plumber or a heating contractor. We use "Climate Heating and Cooling." (703) 750-4008, 6714 Electronic Dr # A, Springfield, VA 22151. Not cheap, but they do a great job and they will not try to sell you something that you do not need.
Compiled from June 2006
- Do you have old, broken, or out of date electronics you would like to see recycled and not taking up space in landfills. You might want to check out PC Recyclers in Chantilly. Last month I took some old electronics I had taking up space. They disassemble the electronics in their warehouse and send the metals, plastics and glass to be melted and reused. Usually they charge a fee to recycle - but they have a free day (except tv's). Check it out. This is a recycler - not a repair shop. Just an fyi - I found them to be nice - they focus mainly on major corporations but they have this free” day for us consumers. Details: Free Electronics Recycling Day!-- When: Second Friday & Saturday every Month 10am to 2pm Why: Protect yourself and the environment, recycle your old PCs, Printers, Monitors, and most old electronics. Recycling electronics keeps hazardous waste out of our landfills. Protect your identity! Improper disposal of computers can release your sensitive information to the wrong people. We can physically destroy your hard drive while you wait and while you watch. (small charge applies) What we take: Computers, Monitors, Printers, Servers, Laptops, Keyboards, Mice and Wires, VCR and DVD players, Stereos, UPS Battery Backups - with Lead Acid Batteries, Cell Phones and Accessories, Hard Drive - Pulled and Physically Destroyed $10.00*, TVs, - $10 Charge*, Basically any electronic item that plugs in wires and cables for the above. PC Recycler recycles 100% of all e-Waste Received. Nothing goes to the land fill. Where: PC Recycler, Inc, 4005 Westfax Drive, Suite A (Before the Office mover bay), Chantilly, VA 20151, www.pcrecycler.net. Questions: Call us 1 (800) 731-1909
- There is a twice-a-year ECARE recycling extravaganza. This site details county services on this subject. It contains the following about computers: Arlington residential households can recycle computers and other electronic items at the County's HHM drop-off site. The facility is open every Saturday, 9 am - 3 pm and is located at the Water Pollution Control Plant. Call 703-228-6832 for more information. Items accepted free of charge include: old or unwanted central processing units, hard drives, keyboards, printers and copiers, laptop computers, wires and power cords, computer speakers, surge protectors, video cards, scanners, computer mice, cell phones, software, other peripheral computer equipment. Computer monitors are accepted for a $15 fee. Televisions can be recycled for a $20 fee. TVs and CRT monitors contain, on average, 6-8 pounds of lead and other harmful materials which must be reclaimed. This program is open to all Arlington County households. Businesses can refer to a list of computers and electronic items recycling options.
Compiled from October 2002
- Yes. Cardinal Roofing. Good luck! (703) 550-8520
- I also want to put in a plug for Rose roofing, they are terrific and local. Several years ago after repeated calls to Cardinal bore no response (they were too busy) I called Rose after also having called another contractor who had told me my entire roof needed replacement. The gentleman from Rose looked at my roof and told me a squirrel had gotten in and he could repair the small hole, it cost me very little and he did an excellent job. That was at least 2-3 years ago and I have had no leaks since so he was correct when he determined I did not need a new roof.
- Mid-Atlantic Roofing (888) 667-5772
- Pond Roofing
- Marshall Roofer in Lorton, Virginia
Compiled from December 2003
- I've used Domenick's shoe repair several times and have been generally satisfied both with the quality of their work and their prices. It is a no-frills” shop located in the Penrose Civic Association at 925 S. Walter Reed Dr. This is at the intersection of Walter Reed and Columbia Pike in the building directly across Walter Reed from the Cinema-n- Drafthouse.
- I'm with Karl, Domenick's is the place to go, they do good work, are reasonably priced, and have fixed some shoes of mine that I did not think could be repaired, plus you can walk there!
Compiled August 2003, May 2005, May 2016
- Chapingo Tree Care, Jose Alvarez, owner (202-255-1345)
- JT Tree Service Inc. (703-359-4444)
- Arborist, Tim (Patrick) DeCosta, owner (703-753-0273).
- Dad’s Tree Service (703-799-5844)
- Northern Virginia Tree Experts (703-263-3199)
- Big Steve Tree Service, Steven Kurtzhals (703-499-3668)
- JLP Landscaping, Jaime Lemus (703-863-5206)
- Bonilla Tree Services Inc (703-533-0667)
- If you want a reliable service, use Care of Trees www.careoftrees.com They are arborists and are just great. But, I would only use an arborist or a reliable tree service (with that I see LOTS of dollar signs) if I wanted to trim/prune a tree or needed advice on saving an ailing tree. For that I want experienced counsel and I am willing to pay top dollar for it. However, if I just want someone to inexpensively cut down a tree, there is a guy that has done a lot of work on S. Garfield, For this job, I want someone to do the job that I want (cut tree, trim everything less than four feet long, pile it in the street, remove all other debris) for the lowest possible price.
- My neighbor and I have both used Dads Tree Service (703-799-5844). I had a felled tree removed and my neighbor had a large dead maple removed. They were fast and efficient. My neighbor was very impressed with how well the cleaned up her yard after they were finished.
- I can recommend Growing Earth Tree Care www.growingearth.com
- I have used VTM/Audubon Tree Service (703-971-6258) several times for high-quality, professional tree work. They aren't the cheapest, but they are extremely competent and *neat*. They've taken care of downed trees, and extensive trimming, and always clean up well.
- We just had Alex Stanley (703-892-1350) trim three BIG trees in our yard just this past Monday. He's very capable and much more reasonable than other estimates we got. Tell him we told you to call.
- Northern Virginia Tree Experts (703-471-7607) could probably do the job for you. They do a lot of other tree work.
- Try Donnie Dotson. I've had great luck with him and have recommended him to others (540-987-8543)
- The guy who has worked on trimming/cutting down lots of trees on S. Garfield is: Rick Flores (703-979-3435) I believe he lives on S. Walter Reed between S. 6th and S. 7th so he is an Arlington Heights resident. Again, he is a gypsy” type of guy/one-man-band and probably doesn't carry insurance and all that jazz. He also may take awhile to get back to you, but someone on our street just put in a call to him last week (Maggie Thielen) to do some more work on her property. I would certainly be specific with what you expect of him etc., so there are no misunderstandings. Good luck!
- We just had a large oak taken down in our front yard and were very happy with the work. Try: Juan Rodriguez (571-215-8514)
- I have used two different tree service companies in the area and have been satisfied with the work each performed:
• 1) Bartlett Tree Experts, Kurt Mohr, Manager (703-550-6900) www.bartlett.com Bartlett's work is not inexpensive but I believe that I received good service, follow-up and value for the money.
• 2) J L Tree Service (703-753-5001) www.jltree.com I used JL to evaluate, trim, and care for a tree in my yard that had been struck by a car that lost control (yes, here in quiet Arlington Heights). I contacted Kurt Mohr at Bartlett based on the recommendation of a professional landscape design firm in the area that I have used. The damaged tree is doing just fine. JL took down a large tree between my back yard and a neighbor's several years ago. I learned about and contacted JL based on the recommendation and positive past experience of a friend in the neighborhood. JL's pricing was good, they worked quickly and cleanly to take down the tree and haul-away the debris. I have not used them for trimming but understand from a neighbor who has used them that they are competitive and that their work is good.
- We had Audobon VTM Arborists, Inc complete the tree trimming (two older silver maples on side of house, close to both our house and neighbors), and it was a good job, in our opinion (703-818-9484)
- We just had Richard's Tree Service from Annandale (703-354-3667) trim our very overgrown silver maple, and a Japanese maple on the side of our house. They did a very good job and left almost no debris.
- Here are three that I have used with good results: Buck's Reglazing (703) 913-1022 or cell (410) 924-4985. Potomac Refinishing (703) 921- 1200, Tub Solutions, Inc. (703) 331-1802 www.tub-solutions.com
Compiled Jan 2006
- We had good luck at Belmont TV Repair on Leesburg Pike not far from Walter Reed. (just a block or so from Five Guys) They have a very fair service charge policy.. I don't quite remember it, but if they are going to go over $100 in repairs, they will call for your approval (?). Very friendly and helpful.
- I also had a great experience at Belmont on Rt. 7 about a year or so ago. They fixed my Sony with no problem and it was reasonable. I was very pleased. They really know tvs.
Compiled from March 2002
- We had our windows replaced by someone who has since moved, but the window manufacturer is RJT Industries in Woodbridge. I would imagine they have other contractors in the area to install their product. We are very pleased with the windows (vinyl, tilt-in). Our energy bills went down and the unpleasant drafts disappeared.
- About four years ago we bought replacement windows from Allied Aluminum Products, 4321 Markham St, Annandale VA, 703-256-0600. Despite their name, they also sell vinyl framed windows which is what we got—the brand is called Uniframe. We were pleased with both the company and the product.
- I too purchased windows from Allied Aluminum some years ago, though, they have since switched to a different product line. I found out that good windows don't come cheap and ended up putting in 14 windows over a three- year period, which was a lot easier on my pocketbook. I also liked supporting a local family-owned business. Basically the sons-in-law of the original owner are all involved. I worked with one of them, Alan Moore, and liked him a lot. When I marveled at my neighbor's aluminum back stoop step railing and aluminum cyclone fencing (nothing could be more maintenance-free), Alan remarked that his father-in-law probably put it in 40 years earlier when he used to buy aluminum stuff by the boxcar. (That neighbor had recommended Allied to me at the time.) At any rate, that's a few more words on Allied.
- If you are still looking for some help (Handyman and windows) call Doug at Residential Repairs (703)556-4276. He will install new windows and repair windows at much more reasonable prices than the big shops. He's does beautiful work. We used him for some minor bath remodeling too.
- Storm windows - This was from a few weeks ago but I selected R and R Venetians of Alexandria (703-549-8000) to make my replacement storm windows. They quoted the most reasonable price for the storm windows installed. They've been very easy to work with and very responsive. The actual install won't take place until later this week but I wanted to pass on my feelings to date. Good luck!
Compiled October 2004
- I & J Services -- their number is in the phone book. They are great and cheap -- they also clean gutters.